The Special Spark Within

I have a recurring dream.

My grandfather, Grandfather Wise, holds out his coffee-colored hand and takes me for a walk on the land I purchased some years ago. In this dream, we do not talk. I confess that I can no longer remember the sound of his voice. We communicate through our heart; words are not necessary. 

We stop and stare at bluebells, my favorite flower. There are always butterflies. Sometimes, there are dragonflies. There is always great peace. 

In this dream, my grandfather reminds me of the earth-centered spirituality I often explored as a child and then again as a young adult. In my middle age, his spirit urges me not to box myself in (to fit in) by claiming religious labels that do not suit me. He urges me to continue seeing God everywhere and at all times. He urges me to remember that spirituality does not need labels.  

I am greatly blessed to be a chaplain. I do not fit the traditional mold, but the older I get, the more Spirit reminds me that my spiritual uniqueness is a gift. I am able to serve and to connect with so many since my language about the Divine is often inclusive and open. As I age, and as I more fully come into myself, I realize that I would not change who I am for anything. I would never alter my spiritual core. All of this is to say that things that make us “different” or unique are often the very things that enable us to be our best selves. 

Instead of hiding our individual sparks, the quirky qualities we possess, we should live into them. Doing so leads to a more fulfilling (and I would argue a more sacred) life. Doing so can inspire others to be their best selves.

In a world that often values conformity, I urge you, dear reader, to see your unique qualities as something to be celebrated, not diminished. I urge you to see your own beauty and to accept all of the wonderful contributions that you can bring to this world. I urge you to believe in yourself and to love yourself as you are. 

In the dream, not all of the bluebells are the same shade or shape. Some dance in the wind, and some remain still. Some may not even be bluebells at all. Yet, each purple and blue flower blesses me as my dreaming body walks past.